Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Halfway In!

This week we had class Tuesday & Wednesday, because Memorial Day was Monday, and we all need a day to relax with friends and family. I thought class was tough when we had a day between to rest, but back-to-back Body Back? I was nervous. The plan was to have targeted workouts, upper body one day, lower body one day. 

I weighed-in before class, and...no loss. What?? I don't understand. I'm still going to Stroller Strides five or six days a week AND I've added these two nights of Body Back. That's seven or eight workouts a week, and if you do the math, that's seven or eight more workouts a week than I used to do. Why in the world would I not see a loss?! The dreaded word I never thought I'd have to deal with...plateau. I'm not sure why I thought I was immune to this common setback (and I'm still kind of in denial). I'm hoping it doesn't last too long since we are in week four of this eight week program. That's right, HALF WAY! Half way in and I'm not even close to half way to my goal. Depressing, to say the least. I didn't have much to talk to Bethany about during my one-on-one time because I forgot my food log. I know, I'm a genius. How in the world are we supposed to discuss my eating habits when I forget my log at home. 

I also left my other homework, "10 Really, Truly, Fabulously, Honestly Wonderful Things About Me." It was this cute little worksheet where we had to share great things about ourselves. "I AM ____, because __________." It was much harder than I thought to think of 10 super things about me and explain why. We each shared a couple of our ten things in class. I could hardly remember one of mine! Ugh, I hate not having my work. And on top of that, I obviously NEED to talk about my eating habits since I didn't see a change on the scale this week. I want to be sure I'm not sabotaging myself somewhere. I know I'm not eating as perfectly as some do, but I've still made huge improvements from where I was. I'm much more aware of how much and the kinds of things I'm eating. 

On a side note, I recently discovered that my go-to meal at my favorite taco shop was COMPLETE SABOTAGE. It really didn't seem that bad. Shredded chicken, cheese, garlic sauce. Yum! (Okay, it was nachos...but still.) I stumbled across the "nutritional" information...O. M. G.! Almost 1600 calories. That's right - six-teen hun-dred cal-o-ries. I was going to this place once a week and eating more than my days' worth of calories in one meal! Not to mention the soda or adult beverage I usually ordered. Man, oh man. It's a wonder I was able to lose any weight at all. I have since found a more reasonable alternative when we eat at my beloved taco shop. Chicken tacos - under 300 calories each. No, they're not as good as the tortilla chips dripping in queso, but 1600 calories?! No way is that worth it. Or is it?? No, no. Definitely not.

Now that I'm salivating over my once loved, now forbidden nachos...back to exercise! Tuesday night was all lower body. We had a special guest trainer, Susan - the Stroller Barre instructor. Stroller Barre is a ballet/pilates/yoga mix. I haven't taken a real class with her, so I wasn't sure what to expect. There was a lot of ballet terminology. In French. Yeah, I took ballet growing up, I think I was three. I didn't have a clue what some of these things were. I remember first position and second position. But just the words. I don't know what the feet are actually supposed to do. So that was a fun learning curve. 

Once I figured out what I was doing, we were good to go. This was some serious stuff. We were doing plies "en pointe" for what seemed like forever. Basically, squats with your heels up, really flexing those calves. My legs were killing me! Burning, shaking, almost giving out on me. We did several sets of targeted leg exercises with running spurts in between. Before we were even done I knew tomorrow was going to be bad. How was I going to walk? 


I had a moment at the end of our wall sit. I was at that point where my body was saying STOP!!! (Maybe with a few more exclamation marks.) I guess Bethany could tell...next thing I know, she's right there in front of me - correcting my hunching shoulders and concave chest. And doing what she does best, motivating and encouraging me. Honestly, if she hadn't come over, I would have stopped. I would have stood up to take a break. But I didn't get to. She pushed me out of my comfort zone, and I made it. Barely, but I did.

Toward the end of class we got to use this cute little squishy ball. Very deceptive. The melon-sized, pinkish-red ball was not fun. We were on the ground, squeezing this ball behind our knee, and lifting that same leg up. I think it was called a mermaid? I know for a fact, I did not look like a mermaid. I'm thinking something a little closer to a beached whale. Maybe with it's tale tangled up? It was one of the most awkward and uncomfortable exercises I've done. But, oh my, did that burn! My legs and booty were dying! And they still hurt. It hurts to go up the stairs, and it even hurts to sit down! 

We did some serious leg and booty work! We'll see if I can do anything productive today. And tonight at class...



Yes, I recall being told this recently. If it was easy, everyone would have killer bodies.


No comments:

Post a Comment